Between June 4 and Aug. 31, 1982, the IDF, under Sharon‘s direction (Begin had named him Minister of Defense the previous year), killed a total of 19,025 Palestinians and wounded 30,032 in a military campaign that Sharon called “Operation Peace in Galilee.” Under immense pressure from the Reagan Administration, Sharon abandoned plans to assassinate Arafat, and, on Aug. 21, 1982, he allowed the PLO to evacuate 15,600 fighters from Lebanon, under an American-brokered cease-fire.
So what about his role in 9/11?
- Ariel Sharon watched over murderous spree in 1982 (gulfnews.com)
- What Killed Yasser Arafat? (Full Version) (undergrounddocumentaries.com)
- Op-Ed Contributor: A Preventable Massacre (nytimes.com)
- Sabra and Shatila – 16th-18th September 1982 Remembered (foa.org.uk)
- Sabra and Shatila massacre, 30 years on (euronews.com)